Thursday, April 14, 2016

Downsizing

Hello, world.  Did you miss me?  I missed you.  Here is what I look like, in case you have forgotten.  :)

~another library photo, of course~ :)

Due to my wrist problems, it has been a few months since I last blogged.  Over the last few months I have come to realize just how necessary wrists are for day-to-day living.  Wrist movement is involved in turning doorknobs, using scissors, grasping utensils, pressing buttons, etc.  Although, my wrists have gotten better over the last few months, I still feel a degree of pain when doing all of these things, and more.  Does this mean that I am ready to give up scrapbooking?


No, of course not.  :)  It just means that I am working on ways to make scrapbooking easier on my wrists.  After all, a hobby is no fun if it causes pain.  Right now my main strategy is to scrapbook on a smaller scale.  Those 12x12" albums are HEAVY, right?  So for this year's album I am trying a 5.5x8.5" spiral bound paper pad, which is much lighter and easier on the wrists.

Supplies: all paper & stickers from October Afternoon (they recently had a warehouse sale); pen from Zig.

Here is a sample page.  So far I have only scrapbooked January and February, and this is a page from February.  The photo on the left is a selfie from the Science Museum, and the photo on the right is from Valentine's Day.  Even though the paper pad is for mixed media, I have not felt like doing any mixed media work in it yet.  Maybe someday.  I'll keep you updated.  :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog today to catch up with me.  Have a great day!

7 comments:

IrinaR (Irina Rakovets) said...

Hi Denis! I'm bored ... I'm glad to be back in the blog.
Get well as soon as possible!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Sorry to hear you've been having some trouble lately! I love how you have adapted your craft for what's best for you, and love how it has turned out! Can't wait to see more!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It was a delight to read you are blogging again. I can totally relate to wrist problems, because I sprained my right wrist several months ago and it STILL isn't healed. I have trouble using my mouse, and changing channels on the remote, so I also feel your pain. Be sure you keep your hands straight at night. I had to learn to NOT twist my hand under my wrist at night. Now it's a habit I don't forget, but initially, I had to train myself in order to ensure I didn't put undue stress on it at night.

It's awesome that you have found a way to maintain your hobby and have it fit your lifestyle. I was, as always, impressed with your scrapbooking, and the new downsized edition looks great. You picked a great album, too. That Strathmore mixed media pad is wonderful and will take a great deal of abuse.

Again, so good to see you posting again. I missed you!

Patricia said...

Hello.. i'm happy you come back !!!

June Houck said...

Welcome back; I've been relatively absent from blogging for the past two years or so too. Life has gotten in the way, and I am resigned to think that it will be like this until my children finish school and I'm okay with that.

I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain...chronic pain is the worst too. But out of it came something fabulous...your new scrapbook style, which I think is brilliant :)

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Denise. I hope you are feeling better really soon. I love what you have done with your art journal so far!!! And thank you so much for visiting my blog, too! take care of YOU, my friend! HUGS!!!

Halle said...

Sorry to hear about your wrist issues. Glad you are able to come up with a compromise between your body and your passion. :)